Tuesday, 21 October 2014

Must See Comedy!



Back in August I went to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, if any of you aren't familiar with this it's the worlds largest arts festival and has been running for the past 67 years. (Yeah, where have you been?) There's all sorts of performances going on throughout the month of August including Music, Dance, Theatrical and my favourite; Comedy. There's also loads of cool street performers too!

http://www.underbelly.co.uk/about

It's unlike any event I've ever been to, it isn't set in one place but rather there's pop up bars and venues all over the city. The bars were uniquely cool with many of the pop up's being open air with huge seats made of AstroTurf and colourful lanterns hanging overhead. There's a giant upside down cow as one of the performance venues (I just love the randomness) and to top it all off the backdrop is one of the most beautiful city's in the world.


Me and a few friends attended mainly to hang out in the bars and go and see some comedy and it didn't disappoint! We went one weekend at the end of August and along with the many comedians we saw hanging out at the Pleasance, we went to see three shows in that time; Jason Cook, Chris Ramsey and Chris Turner. The former two are Geordies and were absolutely hilarious; Jason Cook had me hyperventilating over his anecdotes with his therapists, his show was definitely the highlight of my weekend. It didn't help that I was laughing so hard and really needed to go to the toilet.. I was just too scared to get up during his set!


Jason Cook is the creator of TV show Hebburn, a sitcom based in his hometown. Jason had a hilarious show and had me hyperventilating over his anecdotes with his therapists. His show was definitely the highlight of my weekend. It didn't help that I was laughing so hard and really needed to go to the toilet.. I was just too scared to get up during his set!

Chris Ramsey aka the most dangerous man on Saturday morning television. His show had me laughing the whole way through and then later googling his famous Saturday morning appearance on Soccer AM. You may have now seen Ramsey Vs Hopkins on Celebrity Juice where he rips into Katie Hopkins brilliantly, if not you need to go and watch that right now!

Chris Turner is a posh privately educated and incredibly intelligent guy who can make genius raps up on the spot.. not at all what you'd expect from a first impression! He took a few random words from members of the audience (our contribution being selfie which quickly escalated to selfie stick) and in 2 seconds flat he wrote a rap with all of them. His set was filled with funny one-liners and puns galore, I didn't find his set quite as hilarious as the other two but that may just be my northern humour, I'd definitely just go and watch him to hear him rap again though! Very clever guy.

These three guys are all touring now and if you'd like tickets you can get them here:

Jason Cooke - Broken

Chris Ramsey -  The Most Dangerous Man on Saturday Morning Television

Chris Turner - Pretty Fly




I love Edinburgh, I think it's my favourite city in the UK, and insanely pretty. I definitely hope to return to the Fringe Festival next year. Did you go to the Fringe? Who were your 'not to be missed' performers?

Cece Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment