As a girl with a big interest in reading I love seeing what other people recommend. My colleagues and I actually have a book club, we don't meet up and sit around discussing a book, we basically use a whatsapp group to talk about our most recently picked read and what we thought about it. I've really expanded on the kinds of books that I read through this, and I've found that I have loved books I'd never have given a second glance before.
I thought it might be quite interesting to start a '3 to Read' series, which is three books that I've either read and loved or are patiently waiting on my bookshelf. This way if you're looking for a new book to try you might find something that you'd never have considered before but becomes your new favourite book!
1) Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman
This is one currently waiting on the bookshelf. Noughts and Crosses is the first book in a trilogy set in an alternate reality. In Sephy and Callum's world the 'colourless' used to be enslaved to the ruling dark-skinned class, this is an interesting take on a Romeo & Juliet style story that discusses racism and prejudice. This to me seems like a cross between Delirium by Lauren Oliver and Romeo and Juliet with a bit of modern day racism involved. I think it will be an interesting read. I love a good Dystopian Trilogy so I'm hoping this one ticks all the right boxes too.
2) The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Bit of a warning, this book is quite sad and could be disturbing to some people. I really enjoyed this book but it does touch on some disturbing topics so if you're just into fun and happy chick lit this one may not be for you. The story follows Susie, a teenage girl who watches the lives of her family from the afterlife, following her rape and murder. I have never seen the movie adaptation of this, but I'm told the ending is quite different. Although the undertone of this book is quite upsetting, it's also incredibly moving and I'd definitely recommend a read. It has received some very mixed reviews so I'd be interested to know what you think.
3)Love from Both Sides by Nick Spalding
I thought this book was hilarious! It follows two singletons, Laura and Jamie through their dating mishaps and quest to find love. This book has been based on some real life dating stories and had be laughing out loud... which very few books do! If you want something lighthearted and easy to read this may be for you. It was definitely a winner in my eyes and was exactly what I needed to cheer me up after a long day at work!
Have you read any of these books? What was your take on them? If you have and recommendations for a good read for me I'm always on the lookout for new books so please let me know in the comments!
No comments:
Post a Comment